Thursday, December 11, 2008

An ooey-gooey day.

'Tis the season to get in that kitchen and bake massive ridiculous piles of ooey-gooey, sugary, chocolatey, peanutbuttery, pepperminty sweetness... otherwise known as Christmas cookies. And yesterday, as part of my checklist of things to do with Elijah this holiday season, that's just what I did! I am getting to be a regular Martha Stewart these days, if I do say so myself. An afternoon of heart-warming sweaty baking in the kitchen produced the following...
  1. A double batch of Toll House Cookies (one white chocolate/caramel chip, the other dark chocolate pecan)
  2. A double batch of Peanut Butter Cookies
  3. A double batch of Turtle Pretzels
  4. A regular batch of this new kind of Chocolate Chip Cookies
  5. A regular batch of Peppermint Meltaways

Elijah and I had such a good time together working. While I mixed, scooped, and baked, he helped played in the tupperware cabinet. What a good helper... maybe he'll appreciate the tradition more next year. Speaking of family traditions...

Back on Christmas Kickoff Day I made a list of things I'd like to do this year. So I thought it would be a good idea (as we are approaching the half-way mark) to see how we're doing with our goals.

  • Crank up the long awaited Holiday tunes!
  • Set up, light, and deck the Christmas tree
  • Put out all the decorations
  • Hang stockings
  • Bake home-made cookies
  • Make a crock-pot of hot apple cider
  • Light the cinnamon, pine, and cookie scented candles
  • Put lights up around the house
  • Hang wreaths on the doors
  • Swap out my regular Fiestaware for Christmas dishes
  • Set the dining room table with pretty red and green linens
  • Spend plenty of time with the Grandparents and Greatgrandparents
  • Cook a delicious meal with our family
  • Dance the CHRISTMAS KICKOUT DANCE
  • See the lights at Garvin Park
  • Go caroling
  • See Handel's Messiah (ok, maybe Elijah can't do that. but I can)
  • Go sledding -- no snow yet!
  • Make home-made ornaments
  • Make caramel corn
  • Attend a cookie exchange
  • Count down with an Advent calendar
  • Celebrate St. Nicholas Day
  • Read the Christmas story as a family

Well it looks like we're making some progress, but there is still so much holiday fun to be had!

2 comments:

C said...

Yummy for the peanut butter cookies. I'm sure you're starting some wonderful family traditions that Elijah will appreciate one day:-)

My schedule for the next week is:
work this weekend, off Mon/Tues, work Wed/Thurs, and off next weekend.

Grace@ MammaInTheScene said...

I love making cookies with my girls....well, it usually turns out to be a huge mess, but at least we had fun going down with the ship!