Friday, November 28, 2008

Christmas Kickoff

Black Friday. No, I don't normally participate in this materialistic, hard-core shoppers high holy day (usually because I'm broke as a joke), but today, due in part to the persuasion of my mother and some super-dee-duper deals, decided to head out at 4:30 a.m. and indulge. We made 4 stops (one being to fill up the gas tank) in under 2 hours. I spent $54 and got Elijah's Christmas totally done. Some of that $54 also went to buy myself 2 yummy fluff-lined hoodies, a much needed floor sweeper, a 4 GB memory card, and a pair of slippers for Manny. Pretty successful if I do say so myself.

Enough about that. From today on it will no longer be known as Black Friday.
I have decided.

Starting now we are creating a new Gutierrez Family Tradition and renaming this day CHRISTMAS KICKOFF DAY, (and this weekend Christmas Kickoff Weekend) commemorated by the following:
  • Cranking up the long awaited Holiday tunes! (Manny's favorite)
  • Setting up, lighting, and decking the Christmas tree
  • Putting out all the decorations
  • Hanging stockings
  • Baking home-made cookies
  • Making a crock-pot of hot apple cider
  • Lighting the cinnamon, pine, and cookie scented candles
  • Putting lights up around the house
  • Hanging wreaths on the doors
  • Swapping out my regular Fiestaware for Christmas dishes
  • Setting the dining room table with pretty red and green linens
  • Spending plenty of time with the Grandparents and Greatgrandparents
  • Cooking (and eating... duh) a delicious meal with our family
  • And last but NOT LEAST... dancing the CHRISTMAS KICKOUT DANCE while laughing hysterically and remembering/missing "uncle" Moxi. :)
(And taking pictures all the while)

I am excited about having a family tradition to share with Elijah each year as he grows up. And I look forward to adding to this list every year.

Some other things I hope to do with him during this holiday season are...
  • See the lights at Garvin Park
  • Go caroling
  • See Handel's Messiah (ok, maybe Elijah can't do that. but I can)
  • Go sledding (if we get snow)
  • Make home-made ornaments
  • Make caramel corn
  • Attend a cookie exchange
  • Count down with an Advent calendar
  • Celebrate St. Nicholas Day (Dec. 6th)
  • Read the Christmas story as a family
There you have it... and now it's my bedtime. Tomorrow we have a busy day of cooking and eating ahead of us. Can't wait!! Holidays are so much fun!!

In other news, a gazillion congratulations to my friend Courtney on the itty-bitty baby in her tummy. :) Yay for her!!! (oh... and Will of course. hee hee.)

P.S. Elijah cut his top "eye" teeth yesterday I think. Or it might have been the day before yesterday. I am SO glad this round of teething is over finally!

No comments: