Wednesday, September 14, 2011

adjournment


The nights have been much cooler this past week, although yesterday we enjoyed an afternoon above the 90 degree mark. The thermometer in the water read 80 degrees, but I swear it was colder than that so I couldn't stay long. However, there was no way I was going to pass up our final swim of the season! Elijah did a couple of cannonballs, while I swam my laps fast and hard to get the blood pumping. We finally emerged, invigorated, with goosebumps and slightly blue lips. With the days cooling down now I doubt we'll have another opportunity to take a dip.

How I hate saying goodbye to Summer. Long, hot days. Evenings filled with the sounds of crickets and tree frogs, lightning bugs, and sitting on the porch until dark. Staying in the pool until we nearly fall asleep from exhaustion. Ice cream cones at Big Top, watermelon every day, blooming gardens, bountiful fresh produce, tanktops and sunburns. Sweet, warm air on my skin. Life-filled, wonderful, happy Summer!

The thought of Fall approaching makes me so sad. Not that I don't enjoy what the season brings, you know... leaves, pumpkins, bonfires, hayrides, apples, festivals, sweatshirts. But I know (oh dread of my soul) that Winter is so soon to follow. Gray, ugly, dead, wet Winter.

Winter is the bane of my existence. I can tell you right now that when I'm old enough, I'll be one of those silver-haired ladies who spends January through April in a southern state away from all the gloom and drizzle. You're sure to see me walking a beach some morning in hideous elastic-waist floral pants and tennis shoes with socks up to the middle of my calf. And I won't care what you think, because I'll be in the sunshine and I'll be happy.

No comments: