Sunday, June 7, 2009

the twenty-second month

THIS WEEKEND MARKED some pretty significant events in our lives. Not that this matters to anyone but me, but every once in a while I like to reflect. Milestones are as good a time as any, I suppose.

1) Saturday it had been one year since my last day in Indy. It was that day, one year ago, that I placed the contents of my desk into 2 small boxes, had a final lunch with my co-workers, said my goodbyes, most significantly to my best work-friends Sarah and Jeri, took one last glance at the place I practically called home for six years, drove away (I may or may not have shed a tear or two) and never looked back. It was a bitter-sweet time. I have my days even now when I miss the place - the big city feel, our home, our wonderful garden, my friends, my old boss, the sights, even the work I did. But I know, without a doubt, that having the opportunity to stay home more to care for this little guy is worth it a hundred times over.

the morning of his 22 month birthday

2) Today marked the beginning of the twenty-second month of Elijah's life. (I think I'm going to stop counting in months when he turns two.) Two months left until he's a two-year-old. Twenty-two months ago we welcomed him into our hearts. Humm... if I were someone who fixated on numbers (like my friend Jeri) I might find that interesting. :)

I can't even think of all the ways he's growing up right in front of my eyes. I can't keep up with his vocabulary or new tricks any more. But I want to hit some highlights.

- He's recently been using 3 word sentences, like: "Come on, Annie.", "Let's go darlin", "I love you, honey.", "See ya later.", and "No thank you.". (among many others)

- And lots of other little phrases, like: YEAH please, tractor ride, Mommy's car, Daddy's truck, McDonald's hamburger, sweet tea, buy low (our local grocery store), lay down, woah Momma, big boy, So Cool, Annie Poo, Aunt Ragon, good strawberries, driving car, cement mixer, and Grandma's house (one of his most-used).

- Speaking of Grandma's house... he recognizes when we are going there, and about 3 minutes away he starts chanting the phrase VERY excitedly! He also knows when he's on the way to the office and, depending upon who's working at the time, gets into a frenzy about seeing that person.

- Every time he visits the office my dad gives him a coin to place in his piggy bank, followed by a hand full of pretzels to munch on. Many times, this is a highlight of his day! He's crazy about his "gam-pa"!

- He now sings along with me at night during our bedtime routine. He has some of the phrases down in Jesus loves me: "chesus" love me... sigh know... me so... love me... me so.

- He is on a total peanut butter kick. Forget the chicken nuggets, hamburgers, hot dogs, sausage, bacon, pork chops, steak, chicken breasts, lunch meat, etc. This boy will have none of it! He wants nothing but ONLY peanut butter, all the time. Thankfully, it's a power-food, which is packed with protein and fats so at least he's getting some nutrients. Of course, he's still quite happy to chow down on the fruits and veggies, his favorites of which are: broccoli, carrots, green beans, green peppers, blueberries, black-raspberries, apple, banana, watermelon, strawberries, and pineapple.

- He's been more verbal about his feelings recently. He signs SORRY if he has done something and gets in trouble. He tells me "HAPPY" when he gets excited or especially playful. And he tells me "SLEEPY" when he's ready for bed or a nap.

And here's my happy boy now.

- A favorite activity in our household is bathtime. Elijah loves the water and swimming so much, he'll take it any way he can get it. Bath, shower, in the kitchen sink, the garden hose, or the more conventional baby pool outside. He especially loves to take a shower with his daddy. Risking exposing too much, here they are in the shower last night.
That's not dirt on Manny's shoulder, it's a tattoo.

3) Friday afternoon I got to meet my friend Courtney's absolutely gorgeous baby boy, Briley. What a thrill! He was born on his due date (June 4th), at 1:55 pm, weighing 8 lbs. 13 oz, and 21 & 1/2 inches long. She and her husband had been wanting a baby for so long and I couldn't be happier for them! Briley is, without a doubt, and answer to prayer. He's spectacular! I had a chance to snap a few pictures while I was there. Here are 2 of my favorites.


Look at the perfect color in his face... and the way he holds his Mommy's finger... and how he has her lips and nose and long fingers...and how alert he is. Oh my, I'm in loveeee.

2 comments:

grace said...

I wish I was still counting my age in months.

seriously.

C said...

Great post:-) Sorry I'm just now catching up. I'm sure you understand. I love to look back at things too. I'm a very sentimental person.

I'm glad you got to come by the hospital. He IS perfect, huh?:-)