Friday, June 26, 2009

The day the music died

As we approached the street where my mother lives yesterday morning my son, who was babbling from the back seat about birds, choo-choo trains, lawn mowers and wheel barrels, suddenly piped up and exclaimed in a clear and "big boy" voice "Dama's house!!! Lub dat! Don't we?"

This, of course, was one of many many sentences he has said of late. They are too many for me to recount. I wish at times that I had a video camera built into my retinas so that I could record for posterity every adorable thing he does on a daily basis. And since my memory these days is so short-lived I can't even recall them long enough to blog about most of them. But sometimes, like today, I do.

He woke me at 4:00 a.m. crying in his sleep and repeating "Dama dama dama" (which sounds phonetically like Dah-mah, just so you know.) until I picked him up and interrupted his bad dream. In his stuper he looked at me and said "Mommy, see Dama" and went right back to sleep. Oh, my sweet boy loves his grandma so much. :)

After breakfast this morning the two of us went outside (dispite the smothering heat) and played bubbles. My friend Sarah gave him a bubble machine for his birthday last year, which I had put up because he was too little at the time and just relocated the other day. Oh, the fascination!! He had the best time chasing them and trying to catch them. I wonder why bubbles are so exciting to small children? They are quite pretty, really.

Michael Jackson passed away yesterday. I mention this for two reasons... because this blog is mostly for Elijah when he gets older and I want him to know what was going on in the world, and because I would otherwise forget. And because I've always kind of been the sentimental type, I've often wondered if there would be an event, for which someone would ask Elijah when he gets older "what were you doing the day Michael Jackson died?" or something of that nature. So, there you go. I guess yesterday was for my generation, the day the music died.

And now, I'm waiting for Elijah to wake up from his nap so we can go swimming with our friends Lisa and Landon!!! Should make for a fun afternoon. :)

No comments: