Monday, February 9, 2009

hello, seventy degrees

For the 8th day of February, which btw is the day after Elijah's 18 month birthday, it's INSANELY warm and wonderful here in southern Indiana. 70 degrees, actually. In fact during our picnic lunch on the deck (which included for Elijah: salad with ranch dressing, olives, dried apricots, 2 sausage links, mandarin oranges, steamed broccoli, 4 croutons, milk, and an ice cream crunch bar for dessert) it got down right hot if you were sitting directly in the sun. How awesome is that?!

And with one foot planted firmly in his plate, the other on our picnic blanket, Elijah picked up an olive, placed it on the tip of his index finger and said "ah lud doo dat." which is beginning toddler speak for "This is the best picnic EVER momma, you rock!". I'm just sure of it.

A nice warm breeze is blowing, the sky is blue, the clouds are puffy white and I am in laundry-hanging heaven. I can't wait for my sweet smelling sheets tonight! :-) ummm...

And so, rather than sitting here in the house, I'm off to play cars on the deck with my little guy while the sun is still shining. You never know what February will bring in Indiana.

Oh also, yesterday Elijah got to try chips and salsa at Los Bravos for the first time. (the salsa was exceptionally mild, don't worry) And true to his Mexican heritage, he scarfed it up and quickly asked for more!

Oh my gosh, how could I have forgotten? Yeah, a big crazy thing happened today. I was downstairs while Elijah was napping. I heard a huge BUMP. I think, maybe he kicked the side of his crib really hard. I hurry upstairs but when I get nearer I notice his crying is coming from the stairwell. Strange. When I finally get to him he is STANDING ON THE TOP STAIR bawling his eyes out. Apparently he had climbed out of his crib (which was a first), figured out how to open the door to his room. And thank goodness I always tell him to let me carry him down the stairs rather than try it on his own. So he was just standing on that top one waiting for me with outstretched arms. Lesson learned: close the baby gate even if you can't imagine your child escaping both his crib and his room. If you think he can't do it, he probably can.

1 comment:

Grace@ MammaInTheScene said...

I am excited about our 45 degree weather! :-)

Zuri is well known for waking up and assisting herself all the way down the stairs now!! eeep!!!! crazy kids.