Saturday, February 7, 2009

back home and sporting a few bruises

After 11 days away, Elijah and I are finally back home. We actually braved it on Thursday afternoon when the temp finally made it to around 50. The driveway is still ice-covered, but with the warmer air and sunshine yesterday and today I think it will melt this weekend. I cannot say how nice it was to spend the past 2 nights at home. :) Needless to say the house was a disaster when I got here so I've spent the past 2 days pretty much cleaning, doing dishes, and doing laundry just to make the place livable again. It's coming around.

Today its a balmy 64 degrees and the lovely sun is shining. I'm about to go hang laundry on the line. umm, line-dried laundry... my favorite!!

But before I do, let me just share the list of injuries Elijah has incurred over the past week.
1) gash/bruise on left eye from Grandma's coffee table.
2) cut on inside of lip from eating icicle.
3) bruises and abrasions on right hand, from Lordonlyknows what.
4) gashes, abrasions, bruising under chin from falling on toilet paper holder at Mom's. (it was NASTY looking!)
5) skinned nose from running into closet door at Mom's.
6) bruise on left shoulder from falling down deck stairs at Mom's.**
7) skinned palms also from falling down deck stairs at Mom's.**

Now before I go sounding like a totally neglectful mother let me explain. All these things happened while I was keeping a close eye on Elijah (except for the last 2 things) and while I was within an arms length of him. Sometimes toddlers are clumsy and a Momma just can't help it. It about killed me seeing his chin though, it looks so bad. He was walking around with the t.p. holder and just tripped. It nearly stabbed thru the soft part under his chin. Ick!

About the last 2 items there... well, yesterday I was at Mom's hanging clothes on the line. I had left Elijah in the screened-in porch with the doors closed thinking he couldn't escape. Wrong.a.mundo. He squeezed his way thru the doggy door and over to the edge of the deck before I even saw what happened.
Next thing I knew, I heard... bump Bump BUMP... MOMMMMAAAAHHHH.
I ran over to find him laying face down in the snow, covered in mud and ice, crying his FACE OFF. I think he was more scared and cold than hurt. I discovered the skinned palms and bruised shoulder in the bath, so I presume that's how it happened.**

Ok. And since Jilli mentioned about her little girl giving up her passy, it got me to thinking I never said anything here about when Elijah did. (and that's quite a milestone) Christmas Eve was the first night I tried doing our bedtime routine without the passy and it went over without a hitch. So I kept doing it and he didn't really notice or ask for it. I made the mistake of not locating and disposing of them all, and about a week later he found one in his toy box. (I think he secretly hid it there in case of just such an emergency.)

I looked in on him while he was playing much too quietly, and I'm all, What the...? Wait a minute. Didn't you give those up?
And he's all "mmm", because he can't talk while sucking ferociously on his passy.
I attempted to make a swift passy removal maneuver, but he was on to my game. He bit down, dug in, and tried with all his little might to distract me with his best tantrum-throwing techniques. But to his dismay, I'm bigger and stronger, and I won that battle. But after that it's been smooth sailing. I have given in on a few occasions when he's been either sick or sleeping in a strange place - just to keep the peace for everyone. All in all I'm pretty proud of my little guy.

No comments: