Friday, May 4, 2012

On Talking with a 4-year-old

Elijah is 4-and-a-half now and I'm loving this age so much because we can really communicate with each other. It's amazing how we can have conversations with a very mutual give and take, learning of information, sharing of feelings, gathering of facts, imparting of ideas. It's sweet and refreshing. And I adore the times we talk like that. Lately I've been trying hard to nurture his talkative side.  I've been told that as boys get older they eventually stop speaking to their parents altogether. I don't want that to happen so I'm trying to establish good lines of communications now while he's willing to tell me every thought that enters his mind.  Our best talks sometimes happen in the car.  As was the case a few days ago on the way home from preschool.  He really opens up and lets the ideas fly as we're sitting there, just the two of us.

Peering out the side window he causally said to me, "Hey Mom, God is everywhere. Right?"
"That's right." I replied.
Excitedly, "Then, can He come to my birthday party?"
"Um, well. Sure. He's always with you. So yes, He'll be there too." I said.
Then with a little anxiety in his voice he asked, "But, how will we send Him an invitation?"
{I had to stifle my laughter.}
"Don't worry baby, I'll take care of that!" I told him.

Oh, the sweet innocence of my boy. I love love love him.

And boy, does he love me too.  He tells me so at least 20 times a day.  "Mom" he'll say "You're the best Mom in the whole world. I can't stop loving you."

Last night he came to me with a twinkle in his eye and a wonderful idea. "I want to go on a date with you!"  he explained.  "Oh, where are you taking me?"  "To Arby's. AND... and, we can even go inside to eat! And Zeke can't come. It's just you and me, Mom." 


First harvest of lettuce from his "hot box" garden. Yum!


No comments: