Thursday, October 20, 2011

Stepping on up

I cannot believe I didn't discuss how Ezekiel started walking a week ago today (it was Thursday, Oct. 13). Bad Mommy.

Anyway, he had been standing independently for long periods of time and taking 2 or 3 steps for the past month or so. But we knew it would just be a matter of time before he realized he could use those two skills combined to mobilize. It was funny the way it happened. After Bible study at church last week I was at one end of the hall getting our stuff together and he was playing at the other w/some kids. He wanted to go outside so he stood at the doors and started crying. When he saw that no one was letting him out he just turned around and stood there. Then miss Maggie Browning (a few months older than Zeke) toddled past him. He took off after her and before he realized what happened he was half way down the hall. I just stared at him, afraid if I did anything he'd freak out or fall. So I just smiled at him and held out my arms. He saw me and started clapping for himself. Then he started saying his famous "uh-huh" in that squeaky little tone over and over.

So for his first official steps he walked the length of the hallway, rounded the corner and made it almost to the next classroom. Big stuff.

He was a little shy at first, but then he realized this walking stuff is pretty fun.

Unfortunately, a little accident caused him to totally give up walking for the past 5 days. I'll talk about that later. The important thing is that he learned he can do it! Yay Zeke!!

No comments: