Monday, November 8, 2010

My 600th post is about Elijah. Surprise!

Last night Manny and Elijah had their nighttime ritual of brushing teeth, going potty, getting PJs on, "fluff and tuck"ing (which involves one very soft blankie), and reading some stories before bed. As per usual, when I finished feeding Ezekiel, I came in to tell Elijah goodnight and administer several dozen kisses and hugs. It's one of my favorite jobs as a Mom.

As always, I lay down on his bed, snuggled in close and wrapped my arms around him, whispering 'I love you's and wishing him sweet dreams. That's when he turned his head to face me, touched my cheek and said "Aww. You're a really good Mommy. I love you Soooo much." It's moments like this that make everything else worth while.

And then this morning he woke up bright and early -- thank you so much Daylight Savings Time! Ugh. He moseyed on in to our room, climbed up on top of me and sweetly proclaimed "Mom! Your hair looks like a forest!" One thing about this boy, I can be sure he always speaks the truth. Most of the time its great that he hasn't learned to lie yet. I love that about him.

When we drive in the car to my Mom's house I try to use the opportunities to teach him. (While he's captive!) He's so curious about how things work, where things come from, and why things are the way they are. At his age he's able to understand quite a bit about God. He constantly asks questions. Like a few weeks ago he noticed the farmers had harvested the last of the crops. (Yeah, we're country folk!) He asked something about God making soy beans and corn. I told him that's right... God made everything. His reply, "Yeah, and God made combines and tractors too!"

So this morning we were driving and practicing (a very simple version) of a children's catechism. I'm not trying to teach him all of it yet, but there are some good question/answers that are easy enough for him to understand and memorize. (Who made you? God made me. What else did God make? God made all things. Why did God make all things? For His own glory. ETC...) But one of my favorite Q&A isn't found in the children's' version - it's from the Westminster Catechism. Q: "What is the chief end of man?" A: "To glorify God and enjoy Him forever." So good, right? And how cute to hear my sweet little boy's 3-year-old voice say it. Music to this momma's ears. :) I'm going to try to record him saying it so I can post a video.

p.s. Stephanie Nielson (aka. NieNie) recently reviewed a new Tamron lens for her camera. I've entered to win (crossing my fingers) and you too by clicking here.

No comments: