Saturday, June 26, 2010

Decisions decisions: Rethought

Well, here we are today - a mere 12 days until this baby boy's due date and one of my biggest stresses is that we have yet to decide on his name. So last night Manny and I had a discussion. We weeded out some of our less favorite names and talked about what each of the remaining ones mean. Then we went to bed still with no decision.

But, I woke up this morning and the first thought that came to mind (after having to pee - again) was the name I just knew we needed to choose. I thought about it over and over and found myself smiling each time. I decided not to mention it to Manny until he approached me.

So, later this morning he came upstairs and triumphantly said to me "Honey, I've decided what we're going to name the baby."
"Oh, you mean, you've decided the name you like and want to discuss with me?", I replied jokingly. To which he said something witty about me not wearing pants.

But when he did finally get around to telling me the name he prefers I was shocked to discover that it's the exact same one I had known we needed to use this morning when I woke up! So, it was decided! At last. I have to tell you, this is such a load off my mind. I think I've had a subconscious fear that he'd be born without a name and we'd have to make some rash decision at the hospital.

Now, would you like to know what it is?
Okay, okay.... without further adieu.


Ezekiel: Hebrew, meaning God will strengthen. Manny's paternal Grandfather's name.
James: Greek form of Jacob, which in Hebrew means supplanter. More importantly to me its one of my favorite books in the N.T. and my paternal Great-Grandfather's name.

-------------------------------------------------------
6/27/10
Ok, after some deliberation I think we've changed our minds on the middle name. I know, I know. All this time it took us to decide and now we've changed our minds already. But it's better to change now than after he's born.

Here's the thing, we find the meaning of names pretty significant. So, Ezekiel was easy -- God will strengthen is a great meaning. And fits this juncture of our lives perfectly too.

But James. It means supplanter. Which I googled and found it means "one who supplants". Oh gee, thanks. That clears it right up.
So I googled that and the definition is "usurper: one who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another". In other words it means thief.

Not so great.

So at the risk of sounding fickle we're going with something more meaningful.



Joseph: Hebrew, meaning Jehovah will give increase. Plus it's my Dad's middle name. I'm much happier with this choice.

So there you have it. But let it be known that I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. We may take one look at him and decide he looks like a Melchizedek. Probably not though.

1 comment:

Kristen McG said...

I love it! It's perfect!! :) What a load off your mind... now he can come out, right??