Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Magic of Grandma's House

When I was a youngster I couldn't imagine a more magical and exciting place on earth than my Grandma's house. There was always an adventure waiting for me when we went to visit: digging in the sandy soil, swinging up on the "hill", chasing chickens and goats around, playing in the water hose, riding bikes and pretending to be firefighters, climbing trees, streaking naked through the yard, chopping firewood, working in the gardens, feeding the squirrels... the fun went on and and on. and on. And at the end of the day, after bath time and supper, we would sit on the porch swing, snuggled up in my old orange blanket, listening to the whippoorwills and crickets sing. I cannot imagine my childhood without those special memories.

And now, as a mom, I couldn't be more happy to see that kind of thrill in my little one's eyes when he spends a fun-filled action-packed day at his Grandma's house... coming home filthy, exhausted, (sometimes injured), but spinning like top with excitement. He absolutely adores my parents and all the things he can do at their house. And that, my friends, is the way life should be. I want his boyhood to be filled to the brim with adventures and wonderful memories.

Like these...

"helping" my mom arrange rocks in the pond.

Or these...


taking a sip from the waterfall.

Or contemplating the greater meaning of life from his Thinking Rock in the stream.

And then there is the little matter of his very first "girl friend", Avery. She's Jacob's girlfriend Tristan's daughter. She and Elijah are just 2 weeks apart in age and the perfect playmates. They totally LOVE hanging out together. (He even cries for her when its time to go.) Here they are yesterday, taking a break from playing to dangle their toes in the stream.

I love watching the two of them interact. Their personalities are so different. He's a brute. She's dainty. He plows thru life. She tip-toes. He eats like a barbarian. She takes tiny bites. She's much more verbal and articulate. He communicates with words, but not as clearly.

It's interesting how similar their appearance is at first glance; dark hair, dark eyes, olive skin, same height (although she's a few pounds heavier than he is). I would suppose they could be mistaken for twins if we would take them out together.

2 comments:

grace said...

I love that grandmothers really do seem to have it together.

Hosanna LOVES LOVES LOVES going to Josh's grandma's house. She has her own garden, and Hosanna could help her garden all day long and never grow tired.

C said...

I loved spending time at my gparents houses growing up...wonderful, wonderful memories.

I'm extremely excited about watching my little boy interact and make memories with my parents. I've already seen them be great parents to us kids, and they've already proven to be amazing gparents to the nieces and nephew now. I'm sure my love for them can only grow while seeing them be a huge influence on BB.

I love the pictures too:-) What fun I have to look fwd to with a boy:-)