Monday, April 6, 2009

thirty-two-degrees

Saturday was glorious! The sun warmed us up and made us all so energetic! I spent the morning running around with my parents and Elijah to get my Grandma, then to breakfast, then Rural King to get Elijah's "Easter Truck" (as if there were such a thing). It's a huge John Deere dump truck, big enough for Elijah to take a ride in the back of it.

Then we all went to my house and did outside work: mowed grass, cut up fallen tree limbs from the wind storm, had a bonfire to burn up the brush, raked out the flowerbeds, cut back the ornamental grasses, hung laundry on the line, planted about 15 baby trees, turned the compost pile, and moved Elijah's baby swing to the deck.

And by we, I mean, mostly my parents and grandma and me. Manny, in his usual Saturday style, was "sick" and laying around the entire day. (Of the past 20 Saturdays Manny has spent exactly zero of them being anything but "sick" and lazy. Fed up much? Me? Never.)

Later in the day we grilled burgers and dined al fresco, watching my dad teach Elijah to fish while the sun descended upon our little lake. One could not have asked for a more divine Spring day.

Wait. Spring?

Right...

You know, that season of sunshine, warm air, flowers blooming, birds nesting, trees budding, planting gardens, etc... That Spring?

Oh yeah, that one where it SNOWS in Indiana? Like what it's doing right now outside my window? Like when it's thirty-two degrees and I have my furnace cranked up? Yep, just like that.

Ahem.

Elijah and I were reading a book about animals a few days ago. He saw an owl. He pointed to it and said "bird" while showing me the sign for bird with is cute little fingers.

Me: Yes honey, that bird is called an Owl. Owls say "WHO WHO".
Elijah: Ow-el. Ow-el. Ow-el. OW-EL!!!!!!!!! Mommaaaaaa!!!

Yesterday in the car with my mom and dad, mom and I were talking about some food that has nuts in it.
Elijah: nut.
Me: Yep, Momma said nut.
Elijah: Nut. Nut. NUT!
Dad: Who's a nut, Elijah?
Elijah: Pap-pap!

Later yesterday my mom reached for Elijah - he spotted her jewelry.
Elijah: Ring. Ring!
Mom: Yes, and this is a bracelet.
Elijah: Bracelet! Bracelet!

These little incidents happen by the dozens daily, but I can't possibly keep up with all the new words Elijah is using now. His vocabulary has doubled at least over the past week.

One thing's for sure I now know that I cannot use the word CRAP around him. Because he will repeat it.

1 comment:

GRACE said...

cute words! :-) I think this age is one of my favorites. Zuri is repeating everything these days as well...and it's GREAT!