Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Family Feast

Today was our family Thanksgiving celebration at my Mom's house. My Grandma and I got started around 8:30 on the meal preparation and were done by 10:30. (just in time to put Elijah down for his nap.) My Mom and Dad were at the new office working bright and early, so she couldn't do the cooking this year. This was my first time being responsible for the family feast, and to tell you the truth, I think it turned out SUPER YUMMY! I was really excited about it! I honestly could not have done it so quickly or so well with out the help of my Grandma though. She's the one who knows all the little hints and tips to make everything extra special. We had a great time cooking together. Then when there was nothing to do but wait for the turkey (which is torture, btw), we played some Mancala (marble game) and TriVersity (card game), which was fun too. Everything with the meal came together in perfect timing and nothing got burned or ruined -- which were my two main goals. I'd definitely say my 1st Thanksgiving dinner turned out great! (Just so you know, I have cooked Thanksgiving before, but always under the direction of my Mom. So I'm not a total rookie. I've always been sort of the sou chef before now.)

Anyway, just to get the full effect, please enjoy the following mouth-watering photos...

Hot out of the oven!


Hello Mr. Turkey... you look good enough to eat. (We had already taken a few nibbles.)
Turned out juicy and very flavorful. One of the best I've had, for sure! A++

Sweet potatoes with praline crumb topping. Turned out SOOOO good! A++


The spread: turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, cranberry/orange relish, sweet potatoes, green beans, rolls, pecan pie, chocolate pie.


Pecan and Chocolate pies. Both were fab-o. A+


The deliciousness on my plate.




Sitting down to the feast. Yum!


Elijah and Great-Grandma


He had a wonderful time eating turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, rolls, and cranberries. This boy has a great appetite!


Not the greatest family photo, but at least everyone's eyes are open.


I like this one because Annie is peeking thru the fence at us. She just had to be in the picture too. :)


Family: Me, Mom, Dad, Jacob


And then...

Here are my boys setting up the Christmas tree. Elijah's first time helping Daddy... so he was more interested in the cords.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

mmmmmm sweet potatoes! I have no good sweet potatoe recipe. soooo, maybe you can give me yours.

ps. I am loving your smile with that Turkey!!!

Kristen McG said...

I wish I could grab that plate full of food off of my computer screen!!!! :) It all looks delicious. And Elijah, like always, looks adorable. :) Glad you guys had a good holiday- and I love all of the fun Christmas traditions too! I am hoping to have my trim finished painting tonight or tomorrow and put everything out on Thursday night while Jordan is gone and I'm home alone. :)