Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mommy-Son Date

My handsome 5-year-old and I got to have a wonderful date together this afternoon!
We've been so looking forward to this outing for weeks. It's his first time at a live orchestra concert!  He has been listening to a CD of the Evansville Philharmonic every day in the car for about 2 months now, and the opportunity for him to enjoy the music live is SO exciting for him! (and me!)
So after lunch we headed downtown to the Victory Theater with great excitement and lots of chatter about what we would experience (Elijah questioning my navigational abilities all the way).  In case you wonder, I am HORRIBLE about driving downtown, but I did not get lost or even miss a turn. Yay me!  The day was sunny and perfectly warm, so we enjoyed walking the several blocks together hand-in-hand (he was my date, after all).
In the lobby of the theater, about to take our seats.
I decided a Pops concert would be most appropriate for Elijah's first time at the Philharmonic.  It seemed that would hold his attention best, being a little more contemporary.  This happened to be "A tribute to the Beatles", an amazingly realistic Beatles impersonation group accompanied by full orchestra.
And what a show!  It was so much fun, and the "Beatles" played their parts with astonishing accuracy.  During the first set they ran out on stage in the black suits with skinny ties, tight pants, and the sideways head-bob we are all so familiar with from their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.  It was uncanny.  Elijah and I have watched that video on youtube a dozen times, so when they bounced onto the stage looking and sounding JUST like the real John, Paul, George, and Ringo he practically shouted to me, "MOM! Look it's the Beatles!! I can't believe this!"  Of course they performed the favorites from that appearance too: I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, All My Lovin', and Till There Was You.
The second set was straight from "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and the "Magical Mystery Tour".
Elijah got a little bored toward the end, during the "Abby Road" and "Let It Be" set because he wasn't familiar with the music. But considering his age, and that he sat still for over 2 hours, I think he did very well.
After the concert we continued our date at G.D. Ritzy's for a couple of ice cream cones. Chocolate for him, mint chocolate-chip for me.
His review of the concert: "It. was. awesome."
And of the ice cream: "The best ice cream I've ever had."
This, I'd say, was a successful date.  Time with my boy is always time well spent.
Cheers.

No comments: