Friday, April 8, 2011

Obi One-Ball Kenobi


Well, my Zeke now officially has only one testicle. Shhh... Don't tell him. I'm just going to let him figure it out on his own when he's older. I'm sure he'll notice that he and Elijah are different at some point.

Surgery went very well. Remember I talked about the 4 possibilities? Well it turned out to the be easiest to fix. Praise the Lord! They went in thru the bellybutton, traced the blood supply going down to the groin area, and located the undeveloped testis there. It was removed, blood vessels were closed and he was stitched up and coming out of anesthesia within 2 hours.
His surgeon was wonderful! In fact, everyone at Riley, from the time we walked in the door, was wonderful! They were so kind and informative. The waiting was pretty intense, but I truly felt peace about it and knew the doctors and staff could be trusted with my little one.
By the time we were able to go back to recovery I was so anxious to hold my baby! He looked so small and helpless there, with all the wires hooked up to him, wearing his sweet baby sized hospital gown. Surprisingly he was awake and in a good mood, sitting on his nurse's lap when we went back, although very heavily drugged. They gave him a thing called a Caudill for pain relief that lasts 12 hours (its like a baby epidural that doesn't touch the spinal area) and 3 doses of Morphine.
It didn't take long for him to konk out after I nursed him. He slept from that point all the way until we made it to Evansville, 5 hours later! Bless his baby heart. But sleeping was the best way for him to travel, so I'm thankful for that. He has recovered and healed up very well. The incisions look great now. In fact, you can't even see the one in the bellybutton any more. A few days afterward he became more cranky than normal. That's expected though, because of the healing going on in his body. And he slept a ton those first few days.
But I am happy to say that things went as well as they possibly could. No complications, no problems, no drama! :) Yay!

No comments: