Monday, March 7, 2011

Photo Challenge: Day 21

Day 21 - A picture of something you wish you could forget



As I've mentioned, I used to work on auto insurance claims for 6 years. During that time I came across some pretty horrific things... fatalities, debilitating injuries, fires. Mostly when I dealt with bad accidents I avoided looking at photos as much as possible. But once I made a terrible mistake. There was a fatal accident involving 4 teenagers. The driver was speeding at night on a country road. She lost control of the car and hit a tree head-on. {the photo above is not of the same accident, but very similar} All but 1 of them were ejected from the car, even though they all wore seat belts. All of them died. During the course of the investigation, the adjuster showed me the scene photos. The real scene photos taken by responding officers. Now I don't care how many times you've watched CSI, special effects on television are nothing like seeing someone's real child laying dead beside a tree. I was shaken to my core by what I saw. Death is ugly. Death by collision with a tree is worse. I can still see those images vividly in my mind. And my heart still breaks for the mothers effected by it.

No comments: