Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My One Hundred Things

Two things have prompted this. The first is that Kristen did it (because her friend did it) and I like the idea. The second is a show I saw on M.tv called "If you really knew me". It's fascinating. High-school kids share their most vulnerable selves with each other and the result is really intense. It's an exercise in self awareness. So I've decided to start my One Hundred Things list. (They may not all make it to this one post, but I'll get there.) Here we go...

  1. I'm a Texan. Born and raised. (at least somewhat raised - until we moved to Indiana anyway)
  2. I'm allergic to jalapenos. But that doesn't stop me from eating salsa.
  3. As of last week Manny and I have been married 11 years. Holy timewarp batman! Can it really be that long?
  4. I was a real tomboy growing up.
  5. When I was 5 or 6 my right thumb was very nearly severed in the hinge of a metal folding chair during my ballet recital. I was too short to reach the bar on the wall so the teacher let me use the chair in stead. When I went to move it, my thumb got caught in the hinge. I remember the entire event vividly! Ouch! The thumb was successfully reattached.
  6. Other than that I have never had any seriously illness or injury.
  7. I am an extremely sentimental person. I think Elijah has inherited this trait from me because when preparing for his birthday he said to me "Mommy, I don't want to have a birthday because I don't want to get big. I want to stay little. I want to be your baby forever."
  8. I need a haircut. BAD.
  9. I need a pedicure.
  10. I need a girls night out.
  11. I need a vacation.
  12. I have a feeling numbers 9, 10, and 11 aren't going to happen any time in the near future.
  13. I can speak Spanish, but never do.
  14. My husband is Latino but does not speak Spanish. Irony perhaps?
  15. My earliest memory is of the World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. I was 2.
  16. I used to sing (and I think I was pretty good at it). But now I rarely ever do outside of Elijah's room at bedtime and in the car.
  17. I played the trumpet in middle school. I stunk.
  18. I feel left out a lot.
  19. My first real job beside babysitting was at a daycare with my friend Courtney when we were 14.
  20. I became a Christian when I was 5 after hearing our Southern Baptist preacher speak of hell and fiery damnation and hearing the pianist play "Just as I am" a zillion times.
  21. I have been shocked by an electric fence. More than once.
  22. School was very easy for me. I never really had to try but got good grades. So it came as a surprise that I almost failed Trigonometry. Math is not my strong suit. Neither is spelling.
  23. I was homeschooled for a few years. Best education you can give your child.
  24. I plan on homeschooling my boys, Lord willing.
  25. I once lost my bikini bottoms in the muddy creek behind our house while swimming with my friends. I found them at the end of the next summer when the creek dried up.
  26. My mom had my ears pierced when I was 9 months old. Since then I developed an allergy to them and haven't worn earrings since I was 10.
  27. I have one natural sibling, my brother Jacob. But my parents fostered 23 other children, including Ragon (who still lives with them and probably always will) and Chyna, who they adopted when she was 5.
  28. My brother has been addicted to drugs since he was 14 years old.
  29. I have never tried any kind of drugs.
  30. I have never smoked.
  31. I love the following beverages: Dr. Pepper, Pepsi throwback (SOoo good!), cherry limeade from Sonic, chocolate malts, sweet sun tea, french press coffee.
  32. I have a very tumultuous relationship with my parents. At least I feel like I do.
  33. I'm lonely most of the time.
  34. My favorite household chore is hanging clothes on the line.
  35. I think I'd like to have one more baby... this time maybe it will be a girl.
  36. Although natural childbirth was the most excruciating 1 hour of my life, I'd totally do it again.
  37. I gained 11.5 pounds with Ezekiel. 13 with Elijah. And both times I lost all of it before I left the hospital. :)
  38. I haven't had a best friend since college. (that ended badly)
  39. I actually don't have many real friends at all. Maybe 2.
  40. I hate mushrooms, brussel sprouts, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and rye bread.
I think I'll stop there for today. Maybe more later...
Manny made tacos for supper and he's calling me to come eat with him before Ezekiel wakes up. Adios!

3 comments:

grace said...

um I'd like to lose all my baby weight before leaving the hospital.
also, numbers 8-12 sum it all up for me as well.

C said...

I feel lonely a lot too, and don't have many real friends. But I'm YOUR friend!:-)

I can't believe you remember something from being 2yrs old! I'm lucky to remember anything from jr. high! lol

I hope you get your girl:-)

I'm looking forward to the rest of your list! xoxo

Jilli said...

Wow!!! Such a great list. So thoughtful, vulnerable and interesting. Looking forward to our upcoming time together!!