Friday, April 2, 2010

Ordinary Moment? or not.


Do not let the sweet sleeping face of this child fool you.

Inside this angelic little exterior hides a force of nature to be reckoned with. Some might call it "creativity". I call it HOLY CRAP, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY WALLS, MY RUG, SHOWER CURTAIN, ALARM CLOCK, CARPET, BATH TOWEL, AND YOUR PJS??!! (only I don't say ALL those words on front of my son. Just some of them.)

I think every mother has experienced something... some accident, mishap, tragic mischief... at the hands of her child, which for the rest of the child's life will be used against him.

Today was my day for just such an incident. Which is why I'm not so sure the term "ordinary moment" fits the bill so much today.

I made the grave mistake this morning of leaving Elijah under the supervision of my husband. (I use the term supervision very lightly.) Who, unbeknownst to me, had "no idea" he was supposed to be keeping an eye on him for the 10 minutes it took me to go downstairs, let the dog outside, take out the trash, and get myself a bowl of cereal. When I returned I found something so maddening I couldn't even bring myself to photograph it. So what you are about to see is mostly photo-shopped for effect. But I assure you that the portrayal is most definitely accurate.

I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story.
This is what we will henceforth refer to in our home as "the nail polish incident".

Can you see how the nail polish remover also took the paint off the wall. Awesome.

this one isn't altered.

As for the foot - that's mine. By the time I took these Elijah was sleeping (see above) so obviously I couldn't take a photo of his foot. Nevertheless, this is exactly how both his feet looked when I found him. When I asked what he did he replied "Oh, I'm just painting my toenails." I'm just not ready to have a conversation about how only girls paint their toenails. Sheesh! When can we get this kid enrolled in football or something?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah your absolutely right, our little one’s can be creative at time. When Amber was about 4 she got a hold of acrylic paint and painted big blue A’s on the wall and on her dresser.
Love, Barb