Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Kitchen Improvement

As I mentioned a few days ago, I had about all of my old kitchen that I could handle. So, I took matters into my own hands and started the project by purchasing a new stove and new cabinets. (yay me!) Now, when I began this whole thing I was fully aware that I could not complete it myself. Knowing that there is no other way to get my husband moving than to kick him in the backside, and knowing the presence of cabinets and appliances in our kitchen was an excellent way of doing just that... I procured the help of my dad and grandpa to deliver said items to my house on Friday afternoon.

Friday evening my husband was prompt to hook up the new stove and wheel the old one outside, but that's as far as he got. I didn't expect any more since he had been working hard all day. But Saturday rolled around and I knew we needed to get down to business. So after he set the base cabinets and started working on the top ones, I again enlisted the help of my dad. (He's so very handy to have around!) Once he arrived, the guys really went to work hanging the cabinets. Meanwhile Mom and I set out to the home stores to purchase cabinet and drawer pulls. And after some shimming (the house is way crooked) and grunting, and maybe some growling, they got them all in, leveled, and mostly functioning.

Sunday afternoon Manny and I went and picked out the counter tops, a black granite color(complete opposite of what we have on the pre-existing counters), which really pops against the dark eggplant purple of the wall and white stove. I really like our color choices.

There are a few finishing touches still to be made: counter tops need to be raised and anchored, some cabinet doors need adjustments, handles need to be put on, and the knife rack needs to be mounted. But all in all, it looks fantastic!

I'm over the moon excited about having a reliable oven and cook top!! Yesterday I baked cupcakes just to try it out. And guess what! Not a single one was ruined from the oven baking too hot on one side! And when I turn on the burners... guess what else! They heat up! I feel like a new woman!

And... AND... when I need a can of tomatoes for a recipe I don't have to walk through the dining room, through the living room, down the hall way, and into the laundry room to retrieve it. No no. I simply reach up into my pantry shelf and get it. Awesome, right? I think I'm going to be doing a lot more cooking now that I have a functioning kitchen.

So in case you are wondering just how bad could the old one have been, I leave you with the following... click on the images to enlarge and see my awesome photoshop skills.

This was taken before be bought the house, October 2005.

Another "before" shot.

These were taken after we got done with the structural remodel- just before we put it on the market, October 2006.


Looks pretty, right? Well do not be deceived. There is NO storage space. We had to use a coffee table and desk to store pots and pans. And the stove was archaic... only 1 working burner!

And this was taken the day we moved in, before everything got put away. I used this photo since I don't have a better one to show the lack storage space.


And now for the big reveal...
still needs some little touches, but almost finished.
I love color. Could you tell? :)
Yes we still have a table for the microwave, but at least the pots and pans have a home now.

3 comments:

Kristen McG said...

YAY!!!!!
Looks AWESOME! =)
You have to be just thrilled! :)

Jeri said...

Love the pictures of the 'before' and 'after' kitchen!! You certainly were patient. I did not realize we could have had a good contest for who had the worst kitchen!!

And thank you for updating my blog to add Gilbert!!! You are the best!!!!

Went to El Rodeo today with Sarah and Carol....totally wished you were there and sorry that I have had to cancel my plans to E'ville again :(

grace said...

WOW!!! It looks SOOOOOOO good!!